|Home > Projects > Pipelines > Jackfish Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) Heavy Oil Production Pipeline Infrastructure
Jackfish Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) Heavy Oil Production Pipeline Infrastructure (2007 to Present)
Approximately 250km of Pipeline in Single and Common Trench (114mm Outside Diameter to 324mm OD)
- Infrastructure pipelines to supply and transport the following commodities to/from each of the three Jackfish SAGD facilities:
- Sweet sales spec fuel gas
- Diluents to blend with the heavy oil
- Heavy Oil Blend
- Source Water
- Disposal Water
- All pipelines are constructed from CSA Gr 359 and 386 material. The fuel gas, diluents and oil blend pipelines are internally bare, while the water pipelines are outfitted with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) liners.
- Pipeline external coating materials range from YJ-1 to FBE products, depending on service temperature, ground conditions and pipeline construction method.
- All of the pipelines are either outfitted with pigging facilities or have provision for pigging facilities, depending on the service.
- Challenges with these projects include ground conditions (muskeg), shortened construction season (winter only), environmental concerns, installation of pipelines and risers into operational facilities. Due to elevated operating temperatures, finite stress analysis is performed and often results in expansion loops to be designed and installed at strategic locations along the pipeline route. Many of the pipelines are installed in common trench with upwards of six pipelines in one trench.